And my awesome costume takes form

If you've been keeping up at all with everything I've been doing in the store, you know I started working on a Halloween costume about a week ago.  

image.jpg

Once I saw this pattern I just knew that we had the perfect fabric and I could make this one work. The first step was to make the skirt and do all that pleating. Oh the pleating.... It took all day but I got it done and I don't think it looks too bad!! 

image.jpg

I decided to use a contrasting fabric for the pleated part for a couple of reasons. But primarily I didn't know if I had enough fabric to make all that skirt and jacket and all that pleating out of the same taffeta. I figured I could save some yardage and add some visual interest by bringing in the black moire. The rest of the skirt was simple enough to gather, add a zipper and a waist band and I was done! (I know, I make it sound so easy!)

The next part to tackle was the jacket. And aside from lots of pieces, it wasn't terrible to assemble. And all in all even the lining went together pretty quickly. Here are a few photos of the jacket as I was sewing it: 

 

I decided to use a contrast ribbon for the lacing up the back of the jacket.  

I decided to use a contrast ribbon for the lacing up the back of the jacket.  

Here you can see the pocket detail.  

Here you can see the pocket detail.  

A close up of the bottom of the sleeve where I decided to use lace instead of fabric. It was easier and really lent itself to more of a 'steampunk' feel.  

A close up of the bottom of the sleeve where I decided to use lace instead of fabric. It was easier and really lent itself to more of a 'steampunk' feel.  

Doing all of my 'under stitching' where you sew the lining to the seam allowance to keep the lining from rolling out and poking out around the garment. This is a useful technique for all lined garments.  

Doing all of my 'under stitching' where you sew the lining to the seam allowance to keep the lining from rolling out and poking out around the garment. This is a useful technique for all lined garments.  

A view of the jacket and skirt together.  

A view of the jacket and skirt together.  

Jacket, sleeve and skirt close up.  

Jacket, sleeve and skirt close up.  

Once I got to this point it was time to do the dollar piece which I had been dreading. I had decided right from the beginning that I was going to use lace trim for the bottom of the sleeves and the collar and while it was Simone enough to do on the sleeves, I was worried about the rest of it. I argued with myself back and forth whether I should use one layer of lace for the neck line or two and finally I decided to just jump all in and use two. I have to say I am so happy I went with two and the final product so far has turned out gorgeous! Here are a couple of photos: 

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I have also picked out the buttons I want to use. I'm a little nervous about the buttonholes but I will be sure to run plenty of practice ones before I take the jacket to the machine!! 

I have also picked out fabric for the bustier piece and have started construction on that. More pictures to follow!! 

 

Happy Sewing!, 

Erin